Re: Install question

From: Patrick Guio
Subject: Re: Install question
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:13:28 +0100 (CET)

On 22 Jan 2002, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Patrick> Which variableshall I use in each Makefile.am?
> Patrick> nobase_include_HEADERS ?  include_HEADERS ? or something
> Patrick> else?
>
> There are two basic ways to approach this.
>
> One way is to put everything in the top-level Makefile.am:
>
>     nobase_include_HEADERS = include1/foo.h include2/sub/bar.h ...
>
> Another way is to have a Makefile.am in each directory along with
> local install macros:
>
>  include1/Makefile.am:
>
>     inc1dir = $(includedir)/include1
>     inc1_HEADERS = foo.h
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your advise, I decided to use the second way.
I have another question, let me explain. I have a directory
$(top_srcdir)/examples. In this directory, I have many .cpp files which
are examples that could be built but not by default!
In addition I would like these .cpp to be placed in a $(prefix)/examples
at installation (but not the executables) and those .cpp  files should be
distributed when running make dist.
So long I have declared

# install the .cppfiles in  $(prefix)/examples
examplesdir = $(prefix)/examples
examples_DATA = ex1.cpp ex2.cpp

# don't install the exec's
noinst_PROGRAMS = ex1 ex2

# build rules
ex1_SOURCES = ex1.cpp
ex2_SOURCES = ex2.cpp

The "make distdir" works. The "make install" needs the exec's to
be built which I don't want since I just want to install the .cpp files
and in addition I have a target to build the examples "make check-examples"

check-examples: $(noinst_PROGRAMS)

How do I do to avoid when running just "make" or "make all" that make
build the examples?

Sincerely,
Patrick