Re: Newbie: packaging executables with libraries, how to build?

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: Newbie: packaging executables with libraries, how to build?
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 01:55:49 +0000

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 03:42:30PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Typically if you're installing a library then you are using libtool.
> Not many people build static-only installed libraries.
>
> Given that, in src/exec/Makefile.am you'd write something like:
>
>     bin_PROGRAMS = foo
>     foo_SOURCES = ...
>     foo_LDADD = ../lib/libstuff.la

For automake 1.4, I used to need to add things like:

foo_DEPENDENCIES = ../lib/libstuff.la

../lib/libstuff.la:
        cd .. ; \
        $(MAKE) libstuff.la

In a bigger tree, this way you can get just what is needed built without
always needing to run make from the top level to build everything in
sequence.

I just read in the manual that DEPENDENCIES is automatically determined.
Is this a change for 1.5?  I didn't see this in NEWS, and I confess I
get lost in the ChangeLog!

Regards,
Roger

--