Re: [Eric Blake <address@hidden>] Re: build question

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: [Eric Blake <address@hidden>] Re: build question
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:49:09 +0100

>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

 Tom> A problem with line termination in automake was reported on the
 Tom> Classpath list.  I don't understand why this happens, since in
 Tom> Automake::XFile we only call binmode when writing, not when reading.

How does Automake 1.5d behave?  The line termination handling
has changed since 1.5.  Basically, Automake now uses chomp() and
never do horrible things like `substr($_, -1, 1) eq "\n"'.

The perlport man page is very confusing about newline handling:
in the same section it tells you that \r\n -> \n conversion is
performed transparantly on i/o, and that you should use chomp()
instead of chop() to trim newlines because they might take
several characters...

[...]
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz