Re: Automake CVS: load average is too high

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: Automake CVS: load average is too high
Date: 28 Feb 2002 17:37:49 +0100

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 17:13, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Could anybody please check what's going on with Automake CVS?  If I'm
> using anonymous CVS (:pserver:address@hidden:/cvs/automake) it
> almost always fails:
>
> $ cvs up
> Fatal error, aborting.
> load average of 25 is too high
>
> The number varies from 15 to 25.  My guess is that there are runaway
> processes (CPU hogs) on the anoncvs.cygnus.com.  Old versions of CVS can
> create such processes on "cvs log -r," or something like that (I don't
> want to check it).

My guess is that gcc is at fault; it turns out that anoncvs.cygnus.com
and gcc.gnu.org are one and the same machine, and gcc recently had the
3.0.4 release.  I assume many people are still connecting to get that
release.

> Since the CVS server doesn't reply to "cvs version", I assume it's old.

Indeed - it doesn't even support the -C flag to update (though I don't
know what cvs version added it).