Re: 2 Questions regarding Conditional builds and DESTDIR ignored

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 2 Questions regarding Conditional builds and DESTDIR ignored
Date: 05 Mar 2002 15:27:09 -0700

>> I've a project that builds a number of binarys, 1 of which should
>> only be built if apm.h is found.

>> In configure.ac, I have;
>> AC_CHECK_HEADERS(apm.h,APMLIB="-lapm",APMLIB=)
>> and in my Makefile.am I have;
>> if @APMLIB@
>>   APM_PROGS = miniapm
>> endif

The argument to `if' must be an automake conditional, not a subst.  So
you would use something like this in configure.ac:

    AM_CONDITIONAL(USE_APMLIB, test -n "$APMLIB")

Then in Makefile.am you would write:

    if USE_APMLIB
    APM_PROGS = miniapm
    endif

>> Also In the same project I have another makefile for building packages
>> of the project. It uses the line;

>>        DESTDIR=`pwd`/build fakeroot make install-strip -C ../../

>> On my x86 machine DESTDIT is honoured and everything works fine. Yet
>> on my ARM machine DESTDIR is ignored and the install is attempted to
>> the prefix directory. Both machines are running debian unstable.

I can't explain that.  The DESTDIR support, and in fact all of
automake, is supposed to be architecture-independent.  Could you
explain exactly how it fails on ARM?

Tom