Re: [patch] mkinstalldirs used conditionally

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [patch] mkinstalldirs used conditionally
Date: 17 Mar 2002 16:34:40 -0700

>>>>> "Roger" == Roger Leigh <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> IMHO, this is obfuscating the code.  The real means (again,
Akim> IMHO) to address this issue should be to use an install-sh which
Akim> creates the directories and their parents when needed.

[ ... ]

Roger> True.  It won't be compatible with a traditional BSD install
Roger> though, AFAIK.

Yeah.  This is a problem because install-sh is slow.  I occasionally
hear complaints about this.

We still need mkinstalldirs for the installdirs target (which won't
work perfectly with your change -- but nobody apparently uses this
anyway), and maybe dist or something like that (I don't recall, but
ISTR it is used elsewhere).

Tom