program-prefix (and friends)

From: Clinton Roy
Subject: program-prefix (and friends)
Date: 28 Mar 2002 11:12:01 +1000

Hello all, I've got a question on the rationale behind
--program-prefix, --program-suffix and --program-transform-name.

If we configure our library with --program-prefix=foo, every installed
file gets the foo prefix, including man pages for functions, and our
-config script. This makes it difficult for developers to find the man
pages, and pretty much impossible for programs who want to use the
library to find our -config program.

Now I'm not saying this is a bug with program-prefix, but I would like
to know what it is used for, and if we should write the library to
handle it.

My intuitive feel for what program-prefix should do is to only prefix
compiled programs, and only those manpages in sections that deal
with programs, but unaware of what program-prefix and friends are used
for, I'm probably wildly off target.

thanks for your time,
--
Clinton Roy

Meetings - ``Try, or no try; there is no do.''