Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: RFC: ./configure or ./config.status --clean
Date: 03 Apr 2002 10:37:31 +0200

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

Russ> Respectively, I think you're significantly over-solving this
Russ> problem.  Just document somewhere what files can possibly be
Russ> created and let the package author do what they wish with them,
Russ> write a make distclean rule or whatever.  If Automake wants to
Russ> include that stuff, they can read the Autoconf documentation to
Russ> see what to remove.

You miss one point: killing this impedance problem.  When Autoconf
adds new files, e.g., autom4te.cache, Automake is immediately
obsoleted, because it does not remove this file.

What I'm looking for, is a means for Autoconf to be released without
immediately obsoleting its peers.