Re: first time automaking question

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: first time automaking question
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:34:48 +0200

>>> "Sean" == Sean Finney <address@hidden> writes:

 Sean> hey all--
 Sean> A few weeks ago I began the transition over to autoconf/automake by
 Sean> taking my semester's project and incorporating autoconf into the
 Sean> package.  everything works really fine, only now I'm having trouble
 Sean> incorporating automake into the fray.  namely, there are two
 Sean> specific problems:

 Sean> - ./configure now tests for auto* and makeinfo

 Sean> is that really necessary?

Yes.  Automake create Makefiles that know how to rerun the auto*
tools when necessary.  So configure check for them.

 Sean> I'd really like to have the configure process have
 Sean> nothing to do with the autostuff.  I took a look at a
 Sean> couple other gnu packages (tar, gzip) and they don't seem
 Sean> to do it, and my configure.ac/aclocal.m4 doesn't look too
 Sean> different...

These projects probably use Automake 1.5 or 1.6, where those
tests are silent.

 Sean> - my config.h is consistently nuked by autoheader

 Sean> whereas previously my config.h was updated from AC_CONFIG_HEADER,
 Sean> it's now AM_CONFIG_HEADER and always ends up being blank, save a
 Sean> line saying it's generated by autoheader

Ah yeah, it should probably read "this file was nuked by
autoheader" <wink>.  Anyway, that's odd: autoheader should not
touch config.h (only config.h.in or any other name you gave it).
Can you give more details?
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz