Re: automake reports .lo file created with and without libtool

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: automake reports .lo file created with and without libtool
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:09:54 +0200

[CCing Johannes who posted the very same question one week ago.]

>>> "Skip" == Skip Montanaro <address@hidden> writes:

 Skip> I just installed autoconf 2.53 and as a result wound up
 Skip> installing the Release-1-6 snapshot from the automake CVS
 Skip> tree.  Automake now complains:

 Skip> automake: src/Makefile.am: object `alf.lo' created both
 Skip> with libtool and without

 Skip> The relevant Makefile.am file is

 Skip> lib_LIBRARIES = libalf.a
 Skip> libalf_a_SOURCES = alf.c alf.h common.h

 Skip> lib_LTLIBRARIES = libalf.la
 Skip> libalf_la_SOURCES = alf.c alf.h common.h

 Skip> libalf_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info @ALF_LT_VERSION@

 Skip> Since all references to alf.lo are implicit, it's not
 Skip> obvious to me where I'm supposed to fix this problem, or
 Skip> if it's a problem at all.  I didn't encounter any errors
 Skip> during the subsequent configure and make steps or when
 Skip> running a simple test program.

This was changed for PR/211. I'm not sure I understand it; I
guess there are some configurations where libtool has to create
alf.o before renaming it to alf.lo, and this might overwrite
an existing alf.o built for libalf.a.

(Tom will correct this statement when he find some time to read
the list <wink>.)

As a workaround, if you add

  libalf_a_CFLAGS = $(AM_CFLAGS)

to your Makefile.am, it will cause the libalf.a objects to be
named differently, and they won't conflict with those from
libalf.la.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz