Re: automake reports .lo file created with and without libtool

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: automake reports .lo file created with and without libtool
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:39:24 -0500

    Skip> lib_LIBRARIES = libalf.a
    Skip> libalf_a_SOURCES = alf.c alf.h common.h
    Skip> lib_LTLIBRARIES = libalf.la
    Skip> libalf_la_SOURCES = alf.c alf.h common.h

    Tom> In this particular case can't you just rely on libtool to create
    Tom> the static library for you?

I don't know.  I'm an automake novice.  I was just working my way through
the autobook, creating Makefile.am files and a configure.in script as I went
along.  It's the only document I've found that tries to integrate usage of
autoconf, automake, and libtool.  I essentially pasted the two sets of
Makefile.am rules at the top of

    http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_88.html

The accompanying text gave me no indication that the first two lines was
optional.  I read it as "define lib_LIBRARIES to get a static archive and
lib_LTLIBRARIES to get a libtool archive".  Commenting out the first two
lines does get rid of the error message and my build seems to work.

Thanks for the help,

Skip