Re: Substitutions in _SOURCES

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Substitutions in _SOURCES
Date: 12 Apr 2002 15:04:17 -0600

>>>>> "Timo" == Timo K Suoranta <address@hidden> writes:

Timo> I think there is no foolproof way to detect all possible
Timo> workarounds. My lucky guess is that neither wildcards nor
Timo> wildcard workarounds are considered acceptable. Automake simply
Timo> does not like the wildcard feature.

It's more than that.  Wildcards simply won't work with automake as it
is right now.  They might work in some situations, but I certainly
wouldn't rely on it.

Timo> I have been thinking about making yet another tool on top of
Timo> automake which would generate Makefile.am files.

Please don't do that!  There are already way too many levels of
processing here.  Instead let's work to extend automake to do what
people actually need, whatever that is.

Timo> Hopefully the old make will be dead some day and we have
Timo> something nice..

Only if somebody writes it.  The current batch of tools being built
don't look all that promising.  IMHO.

Tom