Re: installing stripped kernel modules

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: installing stripped kernel modules
Date: 21 Apr 2002 13:46:21 -0600

>>>>> "Harlan" == Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

Harlan> The strip options for programs are "too aggressive" for kernel
Harlan> modules.

Harlan> Some Makefile.am's will install both programs and kernel
Harlan> modules.

Harlan> What are the choices for altering the strip flags?

You have a few choices.

You could set the INSTALL* macros at configure time to exactly what
you want.  You can even write your own install program, or modify
install-sh (actually with install-sh you can set STRIPPROG in the
environment).

Or if you always want to strip at install time you could use an
install-exec-hook and strip the executables after they are installed.

Harlan> It would be ideal if we didn't have to separate programs from
Harlan> modules into separate Makefile.am's.

I don't think you'll need to do that.

I don't know how kernel modules are built.  I assume they are probably
linked in a special way, and maybe even named specially.  It is
probably possible to do this using existing _PROGRAMS support:

    kernel_PROGRAMS = module.o

    module_o_SOURCES = ...
    module_o_CFLAGS = ...
    module_o_LINK = ...