Miss --generate-deps

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Miss --generate-deps
Date: 21 Apr 2002 22:38:33 -0400

GNU make used to use the automake --generate-deps option, which is now
missing :(.

The thing is, GNU make runs on a number of systems where it's not
possible to run the configure script, etc.  For the use of these
systems, GNU make ships various pre-built makefiles, which are
constructed from templates at distribution creation time.

I used to use --generate-deps to create a file containing all the
_internal_ dependency data (no system dependencies, just dependencies
within the make package), then one of the customizations made for the
other makefiles was to append this dependency information to the bottom
so that at least they had more-or-less accurate internal dependency
data.

How can I do this now?  My only idea so far is to process all the .Po
files to extract only the local files; essentially what --generate-deps
used to do, except do it myself... anyone have a better idea?

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools