cannot make a simple project

From: Joerg Anders
Subject: cannot make a simple project
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:00:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all!

Since last week I use SuSE Linux -8.0
which comes with:

automake-1.5-151
autoconf-2.52-230

I'm unable to "autmake" a simple example. All worked
before. Is there anybody to tell me what's wrong?

$ cat Makefile.am
bin_PROGRAMS = hello
hello_SOURCES = hello.c
$ cat configure.in
AC_INIT(hello.c)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(hello, 1.3.11)
AC_PROG_YACC
AC_PROG_CC
AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)
$ cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
        printf("hello world\n");
}
$ ls
AUTHORS  COPYING  ChangeLog  INSTALL  Makefile.am  Makefile.in  NEWS
README  configure.in  hello.c  install-sh  missing  mkinstalldir
$ automake
automake: configure.in: required file `./depcomp' not found
/usr/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake/am/lang-compile.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (address@hidden)