Re: Feature request: meta files & wildcards (once again)

From: Alex Hornby
Subject: Re: Feature request: meta files & wildcards (once again)
Date: 29 Apr 2002 10:54:04 +0100

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 10:24, address@hidden
wrote:
> It is common style to generate c/cpp source files from some meta-languages.
> Examples are lex, yacc, QT's moc, swig, and probably many other tools. AFAIK
> there is currently no way to handle such files in automake and the
> recommended
> way is to write scripts editing Makefile.in's to add seperate rules for each
> file to be generated. This looks really unsatisfying to me because these
> scripts depend on current automake versions (see recently threads concerning
> KDE's am_edit script) and writing these scripts requires much effort.

I think the recommended way is to add suffix rules to produce the built
sources, not edit the Makefile.ins.

> Though i have read some of the threads concerning wildcards in automake i
> once
> again suggest to integrate them into the automake stuff, because i believe
> that
> many developers would benefit from them. If i have a directory, which
> contains
> source files for exactly one executable / library, i do not want to list them
> redundantly in a Makefile.am (because i often forget to do so and the
> information is already there). I believe that most projeft structures are
> organised in that way and many people would like to list files using
> wildcards.
>
> Best Regards,
> Christoph

I'm not sure the production of built sources (or generation from meta
files as you put it) and wildcarding are directly related.

My preferred route with built sources (esp. from CORBA IDL) is to add
suffix rules to generate them and list the generated sources in the
program SOURCES and BUILT_SOURCES.

I suppose automake could be enhanced so that it automatically knew which
files are BUILT_SOURCES by looking back through the suffix rules. Then
the small overhead of listing them twice would be removed.

IMHO wildcarding is a separate issue, independent of whether sources are
built or normal.

Cheers,
Alex.