Re: installing stripped kernel modules

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: installing stripped kernel modules
Date: 05 May 2002 23:23:32 -0600

>> You could set the INSTALL* macros at configure time to exactly what
>> you want.  You can even write your own install program, or modify
>> install-sh (actually with install-sh you can set STRIPPROG in the
>> environment).

Harlan> I'm not sure this is possible:
Harlan> [ ... ]
Harlan> so the value of the INSTALL_STRIP_FLAG is hardwired by the
Harlan> install-strip target and is used by the hardwired library
Harlan> install ... wait a minute, this may not be a problem for *me*
Harlan> because I'm not installing a library (probably - I haven't
Harlan> looked that far yet).

Ok, all I meant was:

* Either set the INSTALL* variables by hand (eg to a hacked
  install-sh), or
* Set STRIPPROG to the program you want to use to strip ("strip
  --my-options"), and

* Don't use `install-strip', which won't do what you want.

Harlan> So with kmod_PROGRAMS = foo.o it looks like the .o gets
Harlan> installed as a *Program* target thru the *data* rule
Harlan> automagically by automake:

Harlan>  install-data-am: install-kmodPROGRAMS

Ok, this is actually "wrong".  `install-data' shouldn't be installing
architecture-specific files.  It does because of the name `kmoddir'.
You actually "want" to name it `kmodexecdir'.

Harlan>  install-strip:
Harlan>         $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS)
INSTALL_PROGRAM="$(INSTALL_STRIP_PROGRAM)" \
Harlan>           INSTALL_STRIP_FLAG=-s \
Harlan>           `test -z '$(STRIP)' || \
Harlan>             echo "INSTALL_PROGRAM_ENV=STRIPPROG='$(STRIP)'"` install

install will invoke install-data, so I think the `-s' will be passed
down.

>> Or if you always want to strip at install time you could use an
>> install-exec-hook and strip the executables after they are installed.

Harlan> Unfortunately this is not the case...

Ok.  That does make things harder.  Basically what you want is
something we've never had to handle before.  So things are tough.  I
wonder if there's an efficient way to add a per-program
install-strip-flag.

Harlan> Something "classy" to define and augment/override "primaries"
Harlan> would be useful, but probably difficult.

Yeah.

Tom