Re: Antwort: Re: Feature request: meta files & wildcards (once again)

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Feature request: meta files & wildcards (once again)
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 18:46:43 +0200

>>> "Alex" == Alex Hornby <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Alex> Certainly would. The problem I had with suffix rules, was that one
 Alex> invocation of the idl compiler on one .idl file expands into many .h and
 Alex> .cpp files, therefore I needed a suffix rule for each product. So far so
 Alex> good, but when I do a parallel build the rules then race each other and
 Alex> overwrite each others products (as the compiler always writes all
 Alex> files), which can be bad if the compiler is reading one of those files
 Alex> at the time..

This issue isn't really related to suffix rules, is it?  It's
just that Make doesn't well support rules that output many
files.

 Alex> My solution is to wrap a locking script around the suffix rules so that
 Alex> any one .idl file only has the idl compiler run on it once.

Do you mean something like this?

| SUFFIXES = _stub.c _skel.c _stub.h _skel.h .idl
|
| .idl_stub.c:
|         $(locker) $(idl) $<
|
| .idl_stub.h:
|         $(locker) $(idl) $<