Re: libs.am/AR = ar

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: libs.am/AR = ar
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 20:01:54 +0200

>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

 Ralf> Simple question:
 Ralf> Why is AR = ar hard-coded into libs.am?

[...]

 Ralf> This causes cross-compiled packages which apply
 Ralf> AC_CHECK_TOOL(AR,ar)
 Ralf> to silently use "ar" instead of the desired @address@hidden

Our of curiosity, does it break something?

(I'm still waiting for someone to confirm or negate this statement:
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-automake/2001-November/000372.html)

 Ralf> Not worth mentioning toolchains where the "archiver" has
 Ralf> a completely different name.

 Ralf> At least I have found myself having to explicitly put
 Ralf> AR = @AR@
 Ralf> into all Makefile.ams to get the correct ar for cross-toolchains.

I believe this is no longer needed in CVS Automake (HEAD), since
Automake now uses `autoconf --trace', sees the AC_SUBST
performed by AC_CHECK_TOOL, and should therefore override its AR
definition with yours.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz