Re: dependency system

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: dependency system
Date: 11 May 2002 17:11:39 -0600

>> That's too bad.  You must not have run into the various bugs with the
>> old approach.

Olaf> What kind of bugs? And why is the new approach better in this
Olaf> regard?

Read the history:

    http://sources.redhat.com/automake/dependencies.html

>> I've planned for a while to speed up compilations when using gcc3, by
>> noticing this at configure time and subsequently avoiding the use of
>> depcomp.  As a side effect this should clean up the output a bit.

Olaf> But what does that got to do with gcc3?

gcc3 added some new -M options that are useful for automake.  With
gcc3 we can reduce the dependency tracking code to a single line.  For
non-gcc3 compilers, we have to do a lot of extra processing.  Take a
look at depcomp for the ugly details.

Tom