Re: how to override AUTOMAKE = ... in Makefile

From: Thomas Vander Stichele
Subject: Re: how to override AUTOMAKE = ... in Makefile
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 18:18:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hey Richard,

> This appears to work correctly with automake 1.6.1a (current CVS 1.6
> branch). (and autoconf 2.53, if that's relevant).  I'm not sure when the
> fix went in.
>
> > I would like to know what is the best way to override this so that it also
> > uses automake-1.5.
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
>
> Apart from requiring 1.6.1, you could try putting some kind of hack into
> configure.ac.  Perhaps autogen.sh could pass an value to configure.ac if
> the automake program isn't called "automake", and the automake version
> is less than 1.6, and then that value could be used to set AUTOMAKE.
> If you do this after AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, it will probably work correctly.

I was able to solve it relatively elegantly by doing this :

  AC_ARG_WITH(autoconf,
    AC_HELP_STRING([--with-autoconf],
                   [use a different autoconf for regeneration of
Makefiles]),
    [
      unset AUTOCONF
      AM_MISSING_PROG(AUTOCONF, ${withval})
      AC_MSG_NOTICE([Using $AUTOCONF as autoconf])
    ])

which I put into an autostars macro.  I should really do an autostars
release one of these days.

Thomas

slips her dress like a fly to the floor
hands in the sky surrenders it all