Re: perl path patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: perl path patch
Date: 10 Jul 2002 14:18:07 -0600

Dan> Best thing to do is use the standard path, /usr/bin/perl,
Dan> and use a lowest-common-denomenator dialect of Perl,
Dan> so it works with perl4 and up (or possibly perl5, but
Dan> that might annoy some users).

We abandoned Perl 4 with the rest of (some would say "long after" :-)
the world a while back.  I think we do try not to require a bleeding
edge Perl (I personally write pretty vanilla Perl code, that being all
I've taken the time to learn.  And I think in the past we've made
changes to avoid brand-new features).  The path is computed by
configure; you can't use /usr/bin/perl as systems vary.

Tom