Re: Adding site specific rules to Automake

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Adding site specific rules to Automake
Date: 23 Jul 2002 23:18:04 -0600

>>>>> "Matthew" == matthew gibbons <address@hidden> writes:

Matthew> I have added the following to my project's Makefile.am:
Matthew>      lint:
Matthew>           @ flint policy.lnt -b -v $(SOURCES)

Matthew> can I (and should I) add this to Automake's templates in
Matthew> /usr/share/automake-1.6?

Probably not.  That would basically be a fork; nobody else would be
able to recreate your Makefiles.

Matthew> Is there some documentation about this? I have read the
Matthew> Automake documentation and haven't seen anything like this
Matthew> except extending Automake with -local rules.

There isn't currently a built-in way to add a rule to all the
Makefiles in a tree.

One way you can do it by hand is to put common code into a file that
is then `include'd from each Makefile.am.

Having a way to do this automatically might be useful.  It would need
some design of course.  Maybe something that worked like the existing
-recursive rules would be the way to go.  I'm not sure where or how
you would specify it.

Tom