Re: Automake 1.6b available and the version numbering issue

From: Respond To List Only
Subject: Re: Automake 1.6b available and the version numbering issue
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:18:03 -0400

Alexandre;

Just want to steal the soapbox here to point out that "1.6b" is more
difficult for automated systems to deal with than "1.6.2".  Consider the
logic to determine whether 1.4-p4 is greater than 1.4.2 or 1.5.
> ... works with 1.6.3 but doesn't with 1.6b.  ...

...and how *is* the logic for 1.6b compared to 1.6.3 ?  Is that like
1.(6.2).0 > 1.6.3 ?

Ever consider simple major/minor/point release numbers?  Even Oracle's
old versions such as 6.0.30.1.2 worked with tools to automatically
determine which of two packages is the more recent.

Allan