Re: depcomp for texinfo + automake in guile

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: depcomp for texinfo + automake in guile
Date: 14 Aug 2002 09:59:53 -0600

Thi> i could not find ready documentation (automake 1.6.1) on how to
Thi> emulate the "include .deps/foo.Ptexi" since, if i add that to
Thi> Makefile.am, it seems automake interprets that for itself instead
Thi> of passing it through to the end Makefile.

Yes, that's right.

Thi> the workaround is to have configure run a program after invoking
Thi> config.status to do the job.  is there a better way?

Perhaps not :-(.  This really isn't too different from what automake
itself actually does.

Thi> my question is: is there a canonical way to do this w/in the
Thi> automake worldview that i've not yet discovered?  if not, what
Thi> would be the best way to contribute general handling of .texi
Thi> generation to automake?

It would be nice to let other tools that generate dependencies well
integrate into automake seamlessly.  As far as I know nobody has
really thought about the problem though (you seem to be the first
person to be interested).

Thi> the other top-level question is: i noticed "automake in guile per
Thi> rms request" in a todo list (somewhere).  has anyone started
Thi> that?  if not, is anyone in the audience interested in funding
Thi> that work?

Nobody has started doing that.  It seems pretty unlikely to ever
happen.

Tom