Re: Cannot use $(addprefix) in _SOURCES?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Cannot use $(addprefix) in _SOURCES?
Date: 14 Aug 2002 10:06:27 -0600

>>>>> "Ross" == Ross Burton <address@hidden> writes:

Ross> I have a list of these .gob files (minus the extension) in a
Ross> variable GOBS which I can use $(addprefix) on to generate
Ross> various lists:

As you've discovered, this won't work.
Automake doesn't know about addprefix.

Ross> # Rule to call GOB
Ross> %.c %.h %-private.h: %.gob
Ross>         @GOB2@ $<

"%" rules are not portable.

Ross> I guess this is because it does not end in .c at the time when
Ross> automake parses the file... is there a way around this or do I
Ross> have to list every file explicity?

Listing them explicitly will solve your immediate problem.

That still leaves the question of whether, and if so how, we should
change automake to accommodate this sort of thing.

One idea would be to have it recognize addprefix and perhaps other GNU
make things, and rewrite them.  We could probably even rewrite "%"
rules into explicit rules at automake time.

Another idea would be to simply add direct support for gob.

Tom