Re: depcomp for texinfo + automake in guile

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: depcomp for texinfo + automake in guile
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:27:45 -0500

Hi,

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Thi> i could not find ready documentation (automake 1.6.1) on how to
> Thi> emulate the "include .deps/foo.Ptexi" since, if i add that to
> Thi> Makefile.am, it seems automake interprets that for itself instead
> Thi> of passing it through to the end Makefile.
>
> Yes, that's right.
>
> Thi> the workaround is to have configure run a program after invoking
> Thi> config.status to do the job.  is there a better way?
>
> Perhaps not :-(.  This really isn't too different from what automake
> itself actually does.
>
> Thi> my question is: is there a canonical way to do this w/in the
> Thi> automake worldview that i've not yet discovered?  if not, what
> Thi> would be the best way to contribute general handling of .texi
> Thi> generation to automake?
>
> It would be nice to let other tools that generate dependencies well
> integrate into automake seamlessly.  As far as I know nobody has
> really thought about the problem though (you seem to be the first
> person to be interested).

Perhaps automake should recognize the following idiom for adding new
'include .dep/*' lines:

  AM_DEP_FILES = $(DEPDIR)/foo.Ptexi $(DEPDIR)/bar.idl.Pcc

It can just add these files to the DEP_FILES variable, and have the
'include' lines automatically added.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden