PATCH for "make distcheck" failure

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: PATCH for "make distcheck" failure
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:28:37 -0700

> >> Why don't you simply use DIST_SUBDIRS?

>  Bruce> 2.  Even now that I've read it, using it would mean taking over
>  Bruce> an automatable chore from automake.
>
> I don't get this.  Which chore should be automated?

Maintaining the contents of DIST_SUBDIRS.  If I make an assignment
to it, then I am responsible for its contents.  I wish to leave it
up to the automake system.

> Why?   I'm guessing you have something like
>
>    SUBDIRS = foo @MAYBE_BAR@
>    EXTRA_DIST = bar

You guessed wrong:

     SUBDIRS = @MAYBE_BAR@
     EXTRA_DIST = @NOT_MAYBE_BAR@

>  Bruce> A better fix is to add back write permissions after the
>  Bruce> first (conditional) copy.
>
> I aggree, but that's a secondary issue.  You face this problem
> (and others) because you have the same directory listed in both
> SUBDIRS and EXTRA_DIST.

It's the primary issue.  The project involved is fairly tiny,
intended as an extended example of how to integrate a tear-off
library into another project:

  cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden/cvsroot/autogen \
    get blocksort

It is not yet released, but I am experimenting with its web page:

  http://autogen.sf.net/blocksort.html