Re: Install failures are ignored

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Install failures are ignored
Date: 27 Aug 2002 11:52:48 +0200

>>>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

Pavel> Hi, Tom!  Failure (non-zero exit code) of a command inside a
Pavel> "for" loop doesn't make "for" fail.
>> Actually, it does (in my test with bash) if `set -e' is used.
>> Doesn't BSD make invoke sh that way?

Pavel> I forgot to say that the problem was observed on Cygwin
Pavel> (current binary version).  I'm sorry, I wrongly assumed that
Pavel> the error was generic.  Cygwin has a very simple shell as
Pavel> /bin/sh, something like ash, but it also has /bin/bash as the
Pavel> default interactive shell.

Pavel> The problem happens quite often because install cannot
Pavel> overwrite running executable files and happily goes ahead and
Pavel> installs data files.  I have been fooled by this two or three
Pavel> times.

I can't reproduce it with ash.  Could you write some documentation for
autoconf.texi?  Thanks!