Re: Bootstrap script for CVS Automake

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Bootstrap script for CVS Automake
Date: 20 Sep 2002 13:48:40 +0200

>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Pavel> Bootstrapping Automake from CVS is quite hard now, so
 Pavel> this script would be useful.  Please put it on CVS.  No
 Pavel> need to include it into distributions.

If you have the time, please go ahead and commit it along with a
mention in HACKING.

I have been using the following steps to bootstrap Automake
(this is needed only when `automake' and `aclocal' don't exist
in the current directory, or if the version number have
changed):

   autoreconf -vf   # Autoconfiscate with an old version of Automake.
   ./configure --prefix ~/usr
   make install
   autoreconf -vf   # Autoconfiscate with CVS Automake itself

This has worked so far, but it have some drawbacks (like installing
CVS Automake -- which might be an issue when CVS Automake is broken...)

 Pavel> Once this script works for everyone who uses Automake
 Pavel> CVS, aclocal.m4 and Makefile.in can be removed from CVS.
 Pavel> But this step is optional.

I'd prefer not.  I've found diffs on Automake-generated files a
valuable to check the effect of changes we do on Automake itself.

[...]

--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz