CFLAGS is a user variable...

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: CFLAGS is a user variable...
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:34:57 -0400

I'm using autoconf-2.54 and CVS automake (current).

I'm getting a bunch of messages of the form:

 configure.in:51: `CFLAGS' is a user variable, you should not override it;
 configure.in:51: use `AM_CFLAGS' instead.

which is irritating but probably cool.

What is not cool is that line 51 of configure.in is:

47 # We reset CFLAGS because if we re-run configure after setting -Wall -Werror
48 # the AC_PROG_CC test will fail because of the (now fatal) warning about how
49 # main() defaults to int type.
50 dnl #CFLAGS=
51 AC_PROG_CC

(I have tried to find a small test case which demonstrates this problem but
have not yet been able to do so.)

As I'm still cleaning up nits found by these newer releases of automake and
autoconf I can't tell which of the messages I'm seeing is causing autoreconf
to fail.  I think I would like a way to tell autoreconf that it should warn
(and not bail) on previously undetected nits.  This should not be the
default, but it would help a lot in making sure that testing new releases of
automake and autoconf yielded a "useful" result, before imposing possibly
backward incompatible cleanup to a project.