libtool woes

From: John Gruenenfelder
Subject: libtool woes
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:01:39 -0700

Hello.
I am using the following versions:
libtool  (GNU libtool)  1.4e   (from CVS)
automake (GNU automake) 1.6.3
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.54

Both automake and autoconf are from the Debian packages.  They seem to be
working fine.  My troubles are unending with libtool.  My program supports
dynamically loadable modules, so using libtool was a good idea.  And I've had
it working in the past.  However, after upgrading to autoconf 2.5 (which fixed
some other problems) libtool has mostly not worked.

The problems vary depending on which version of libtool I use.  If I use the
Debian supplied version (1.4.2a), I get library linking errors at the end of
compilation which don't go away regardless of how specific I get about what
libraries to link.  If I use the current CVS version of libtool, I can open
the modules, but cannot addresses for any symbols in them.  lt_dlerror()
simply returns "unknown error".  Using a libtool CVS copy from several months
ago, I can get the program to compile, link, and run, but only statically.
That is, the module loader is essentially disabled.

Most of my knowledge of the autotools system comes from the autobook, and
digging through some of the info documentation.  Are there known problems with
libtool and more recent versions of autoconf/automake?  Is there a known
"working set" that I should use?  I'd really rather not revert my configure.ac
back to configure.in, but if I must...

If there is any code you would like to see, either from the program or
configure.ac/Makefile.am, please let me know.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, Steward Observatory, U of Arizona
address@hidden