Re: Automake 1.7 released

From: Eric Dorland
Subject: Re: Automake 1.7 released
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:58:01 -0400

* Alexandre Duret-Lutz (address@hidden) wrote:

>  Eric> Is this version backwards compatible with 1.6? Or will it break on
>  Eric> some Makefile.am's that worked with automake 1.6?
>
> The day we receive such a bug report we can answer this
> question.  Otherwise we will never know...
>
>  Eric> Just wanting to know if i'll need to make an automake1.7
>  Eric> package in debian.
>
> Since both versions can be installed alongside I suggest you keep
> both packages until the dust settle down.
>
> (I haven't followed Debian's lists recently.  What's up with the
> plan of changing all packages to depend on an explicit automake
> version, so that `automake' can become the latest release?)

I still need to figure out all the packages that build-depend on
automake incorrectly, and file bugs on them. I'm not sure I will ever
make the latest release of automake in the package named automake,
since if something similar to the 1.4->1.5 transition happens again,
people will be pissed off. But I hope to have all the automake
packages Provides: automake so that people can depend on automake if
they need just some version of it.

--
Eric Dorland <address@hidden>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: address@hidden