Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:43:09 -0700 (PDT)

       > I guess this discussion is void - it is not about
       > "forking". It is about creating your own set of buildtools
       > and to try to reach a level of matureness that we see in the
       > autotools today.

Yes and no.

Yes -- I have the nascent "package-framework" which has some parts I
think could be useful for the non-bootstrapping fork of auto*.

But no - it's not just about that.  It's also about trying to
restructure the "project topology" of the community to reduce the
number of constraints on people working on the auto* tools so that,
whatever technology they choose, they can do fancier, cleaner stuff
more easily.

-t