Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:03:06 -0700

Tom Lord wrote:

> I personally pretty much agree with the larger picture you propose --
> but we can separate concerns.
>
> Forking the build tools projects is orthogonal to any particular
> direction to take the non-bootstrapping fork.

I don't think it orthoginal.  If you separate them, then you have
a "base" package of make, gcc, bash and ?? *AND THEN* you have the
backfill stuff.  Much simpler to just add the backfill to the
base package.  Leaves only one dependency.  One would hope that
the backfill stuff would be very small on most modern platforms.