Selecting between directories?

From: Cedric Vandenbergh
Subject: Selecting between directories?
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:04:46 +0100

Hi all,

I've looked through the documentation but can't work this out.

I am trying to use automake/autoconf with an internal development product.

The source tree contains OPTIONAL branches so we can differentiate between
flavours of the same core software. We can guarantee to have exactly ONE of
SEVERAL branches.

top - specific - subdir1
    |          + subdir2
    + common - subdir3
             + subdir4

Subdir3 & subdir4 are ALWAYS present, while EITHER subdir1 OR subdir2 is
present [depending on release].

I have tried (among other variants) using (in top/specific/Makefile.am)

SUBDIRS = @MY_PROJECT_DIR@

and

MY_PROJECT_DIR=sub1
AC_SUBST(MY_PROJECT_DIR)
AC_OUTPUT(
        Makefile
        specific/Makefile
        specific/${MY_PROJECT_DIR}/Makefile
        common/Makefile
        common/Makefile/subdir3
        common/Makefile/subdir4
)

in top/configure.in

Automake completes, but doesn't generate "specific/sub1/Makefile.in" which
eventually causes "./configure" to fail.

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to achieve? If so, how?

Thanks,

        Ced