how to use multiple automake's at the same time?

From: Lukas Österreicher
Subject: how to use multiple automake's at the same time?
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 17:00:36 +0100 (MET)

Hi there.

I've been having trouble compiling software generated with automake 1.5 (or
whatever
except 1.4) on my redhat 7.2 system. I have tried upgrading to automake 1.5
but that doesnt work nicely - I have damaged my system that way, and i would
not be able to compile automake 1.4 sources then. I have read a thread about
installing automake 1.4 and 1.5 at the same time and let it somehow choose by
the source which to use, and i think this is already available on redhat 8,
but i've had other troubles with that redhat version, so i prefer to use 7.2.

So what I ask is:
How to install automake 1.4 and 1.5 at the same time on a redhat 7.2 system
(quite a few up2date packages installed already) in the described manner so I
dont have to worry about version incompatibilities anymore? (If not else
possible, by choosing the correct version by setting the right PATH).

Thanx in advance,
Lukas