automake not seeing AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE

From: jlm
Subject: automake not seeing AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
Date: 24 Dec 2002 06:00:45 -0500

I'm using automake version 1.5. I'm getting an error with automake, and
I can't figure out why. When I run automake, I get this error:
automake-1.5: configure.ac: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' must be used

But I am using AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, here's the top of my configure.ac file:
#Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.
AC_INIT(libgtkbonus, 0.1, address@hidden)
AC_PREREQ([2.52])
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([src/trough.cpp])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([no-define])
AM_DISABLE_STATIC
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

If anyone can enlighten me to the true meaning of this erroneous error
message, I would be grateful. I need to ensure that automake does not
define VERSION, since it is used by a library that I use (hence the
no-define).

Thanks.