Re: Archives and/or Java

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Archives and/or Java
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 20:00:07 +0100

>>> "Simon" == Simon Richter <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
 Simon> Hrm, what if an archive would be treated like a directory, i.e.

 Simon> foo_jar_DATA = foo.properties

Sounds like a nice idea.

 Simon> ... Hrm, that would go in the direction of generic archive target
 Simon> support, and one would have to think about files in subdirectories of
 Simon> archives as well ("propertiesdir = $(foo_jardir)/properties"? Ick.).

Ouch.

 Simon> Any ideas how we could implement this cleanly? Actually, though it looks
 Simon> icky, the idea of making archives "special" directories has its
 Simon> advantages. I could think of

 Simon> data_TGZS = images.tgz
 Simon> images_tgz_DATA = penguin.png windows.bmp

 Simon> or even

 Simon> data_ARCHIVES = images.archive
[...]

Maybe we don't need several primaries (_TGZS, _JAR, _ZIP, ...).
How about

data_ARCHIVES = foo.tar.gz bar.zip baz.jar

Automake can match suffixes like it does in _SOURCES to
select a compiler.

BTW, an item on the TODO list is to merge _LIBRARIES and _LTLIBRARIES.
We can decide wether the user want to build a libtool library
or a plain static library by looking at the suffix.

Your $(propertiesdir) example apart, _ARCHIVES and _LIBRARIES do
not look very different, do they?

 Simon> To do for archives: Files installed in archives need to
 Simon> be installed at build time,

I guess this is required to support things like $(propertiesdir).
Is this still true if subdirectories are not used? (Like when
we build _LIBRARIES.)

 Simon> but I don't think that's a major issue

Neither do I.  AFAICT the major hindrance is the Automake guts.
(Hopefully that's an occasion to do some cleaning.)

[...skipping Java issues I can't comment on...]
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz