libtool integration question/issue

From: Pavel Hlavnicka
Subject: libtool integration question/issue
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:33:57 +0100

Hi all,

I have a small touble with libtool 1.4.2 and automake 1.6 on my RH 8.0 box. Everything I use is installed from vanilla packages.

I noticed a couple of people complaining about ltmain.sh is not added to required files (a warning is issued). As I looked into the automake command source, I've found following:

1. config.guess config.sub ltmain.sh should be added for libtool
2. config.* are present in both packages (automake, libtool)
3. Packages are searched in automake library only (/usr/share/automake-1.6 in my case)

As a result of 3) ltmain.sh is not found.

So... I have a couple of questions:

a) is it a result of non-perfect installation, e.g. should be here some links from automake libdir to liboolt libdir?

b) what versions of config.guess and config.sub should be used? (particulary, is there something libtool specific in files delivered with libtool?)

c) shouldn't the handle_libtool procedure save the $libdir value and store the libtool library path into it temporarily? (yes, but where this value should come from... ?)

Many thanks in advance

Pavel

--
Pavel Hlavnicka