Config files not removed by make clean

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Config files not removed by make clean
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:39:25 +0100

The documentation of Automake 1.7.2 says:

    Configuration requirements
    ==========================
    [snip]
    `AC_CONFIG_FILES'
    `AC_OUTPUT'
         [snip]
         Other listed files are treated differently.  Currently the only
         difference is that an Automake `Makefile'is removed by `make
         distclean', while other files are removed by `make clean'.

However, make clean does not remove the files listed in AC_CONFIG_FILES.
Indeed, in file /usr/share/automake-1.7/am/clean.am, I see:

    distclean-generic:
            -rm -f Makefile $(CONFIG_CLEAN_FILES)

meaning that the files listed in AC_CONFIG_FILES are removed with make
distclean, contrary to what is stated in the documentation.  What am I
missing here?

--
Rafael