Installing files from both $top_srcdir and $top_builddir

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Installing files from both $top_srcdir and $top_builddir
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:07:25 +0000

I have a package with a directory structure like this

$top_srcdir/src
$top_srcdir/examples
$top_srcdir/man
etc etc.

The '$top_srcdir/examples' directory contains about 20 bitmap images
that are distributed with the package.

After running 'configure', 'make' and 'make check' a 300 more examples
would have been created during the testing process and would have put
into $top_builddir/examples - which may or may not be the same as
$top_srcdir/examples, depending on whether the user build from the top
of the source tree, or built in another directory.

My problem is how do I install the 320 examples from two directories -
i.e. those 20 supplied as part of the distribution and those 300 built
while running 'make check' ??

Clearly, if the user builds the package from the top of the source
tree, the directory 'examples' below it has all the examples (both
distributed and built), so installing them is easy with something
like:

examplesdir = $(datadir)/my-package-name/examples
examples_DATA = example1.bmp example2.bmp etc etc

in examples/Makefile.am

However, how do I do this when the examples are possibly scattered
over two directories - $top_srcdir/examples and $top_builddir/examples
???

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,