Re: Java roadmap

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: Java roadmap
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 21:20:46 +0100

Per,

> I would like support for GCJ.  What I've done in Kawa
> (a large autotools-based Java library) is support a
> --with-gcj flag.  When it is specified, not only
> will .class and .jar files be built using gcj -C,
> but also creates .o and .lo and .so files.

gcj has a wrapper script that provides a commandline interface like
Sun's javac, so the current solution works with gcj. I am thinking about
reversing this -- i.e. gcj is the "official" compiler, for all others we
may find and support, configure emits a wrapper script.

Building both .class and .o files is straightforward even in current
automake -- just list the .java files as _SOURCES and _JAVA. The only
problem is that _JAVA cannot do packages.

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4