Can I force 'make install' to depend on 'make test'?

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Can I force 'make install' to depend on 'make test'?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:17:12 +0000

I have a package which is supplied with a few examples files, which I want to
install. So 'make install' should install them. I can do that okay.

As part of the self-tests, running 'make check' will generate some more
examples and check their integrity with an md5 checksum. I can do that okay.

Now the problem is, not only do I want the 'make install' to install the
supplied examples, but also those created in the 'make test' phase. Hence
running 'make install' without running 'make test' will fail, as some of the
files that are generated during the test procedure won't be present. Is there a
way to force a 'make test' to occur prior to the user running  'make install' ?

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,