Smart Installation

From: Oleg Kravtsov
Subject: Smart Installation
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:34:42 +0300

Hi all,

I have the following directory tree:

dir1
  |_configure.ac
  |_Makefile.am
  |_file1.c
  |_dir2
      |_Makefile.am
      |_file2.c

I need to install file1 and file2 as:

prefix/bin
        |_dir1
            |_file1
            |_dir2
                |_file2

As a variant Makefile.am(s) should be like:

projbindir = $(bindir)/@TOP_PACKAGE_DIR@/$(subdir)
projbin_PROGRAMS = file[i]
file[i]_SOURCES = file[i].c

Then in configure.ac I have to define TOP_PACKAGE_DIR variable with
AC_SUBST.
Are there any standard ways to get the desired value in configure.ac (In
my example "dir1") without wirting special autoconf macro?

And I'd like to know where I should place code that obtains
TOP_PACKAGE_DIR. As I understand it should be written in SHELL
and might look like:

cur_dir = `pwd`
cd $srcdir
TOP_PACKAGE_DIR = basename `pwd`
cd $cur_dir

May be there are some other approaches for such installation.

Thank you.

Oleg.