Re: Putting intermediate files in the distribution?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Putting intermediate files in the distribution?
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:53:58 -0700

Paul Brook wrote:
> > I have been thinking I should put the generated .c and .h files into
> > both EXTRA_DIST and MAINTAINERCLEANFILES.
>
> Putting the files into BUILT_SOURCES should do what you want. This includes
> them in the distribution, and removes them when you do "make
> maintainer-clean"

Thank you for suggesting BUILT_SOURCES.  I did not know about that
possibility.  That automatically adds them to the 'all' target, which
is nice.  Except it does not quite work by itself. :-) Those files are
not included in the distribution.  When I tried that route I needed to
put them into the distribution to which I used the (undocumented?)
DIST_SOURCES list.  Actually used the EXTRA_DIST list to stay on the
documented path.

I am thinking my original proposal is still best.  Use EXTRA_DIST and
MAINTAINERCLEANFILES only.  Because otherwise using BUILT_SOURCES I
need both of those plus I need BUILT_SOURCES and DIST_SOURCES three of
which have identical content.  But oh, wait, I can definitely use one
variable in the other lists to simplify things.  Leaving off the build
targets this seems to work pretty well, for my notedly ugly real world
legacy support case.

BUILT_SOURCES = \
  ../../src/file1.c ../../include/file1.h \
  file1.c file1.h

EXTRA_DIST = \
  file1.d \
  $(BUILT_SOURCES)