Re: Removing dependencies

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: Removing dependencies
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 19:28:36 -0600

Hi,

Bill Moseley <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Raja R Harinath wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Raja R Harinath <address@hidden> writes:
>> [snip]
>> >   $(html_DATA): .html-stamp
>> >    if test -f $@; then :; else rm -f $<; done
>>
>> That should read:
>>
>>      if test -f $@; then :; else rm -f $<; $(MAKE) .html-stamp; done
>
> Yes, that would be perfect, but I don't think I can require GNU make.  How
> non-portable is that?

Notice that this rule will be executed by only those people who edit
one of the *.pod files, or who want to explicitly regenerate the HTML
files rather than use the ones that were distributed by you.  Ordinary
users, who build from your distributed tarball will _not_ execute this
rule, and shouldn't be affected.

So, I don't think it's a major imposition to as for GNU make of those
people who actually change the code or documentation.

> BTW -- something's not quite right in the syntax, it seems.
>
> if test -f CHANGES.html; then :; else rm -f .html-stamp; make .html-stamp;
> done
> /bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `done'
> /bin/sh: -c: line 1: `if test -f CHANGES.html; then :; else rm -f
> .html-stamp; make .html-stamp; done'

Yikes.  I need coffee :-)  Replace 'done' with 'fi'.

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden