Re: Removing dependencies

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: Removing dependencies
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:05:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Bob Proulx wrote:

> I think the problem is that you are building into $(top_srcdir) but
> you should be building into $(top_builddir).

I'm not sure that I should because the docs that are built are suppose to
be in the distribution tarball, but they are not in cvs -- and these rules
are suppose to build them and keep them up to date.  So I really want them
in the source tree.  Files built into the build directory won't get
packaged with make dist, right?

The idea is when the developers update something that the docs depend on
that the target docs (e.g *.html) are updated before a new dist is made.
The docs are part of the distribution so the need to be in the source
directory, not the build dir.

This works fine with GNU Make because (if I understand correctly) the
GNU Make looks for *targets* in the VPATH as well as the current
directory.

What I'm seeing on BSD it only searches for source files.  So the targets
are missing (in the build directory, but not in the sourcedir) so it
always runs the rules to rebuild the docs.  Unfortunately, the end-user
may not have all the tools required to build the docs.

Anyway that's what seems to be happening.

Some users check out the package from CVS, too.  Again, the target docs
are not in cvs.  I've added a AM_CONDITIONAL --disable-docs to all them to
build without docs

I suppose the best solution is put the target docs in CVS and then use a
script to build the docs and not depend on the normal make rules for
re-generating the docs.

   cd docs && make docs && cd .. && make dist

--
Bill Moseley address@hidden