Re: Why do I need both AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE???

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Why do I need both AC_INIT and AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE???
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:43:35 -0600

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> i.e. starting like this is okay, but there seems duplication of the
> package name, my email address and version number:
>
> AC_PREREQ(2.57)
> AC_INIT(atlc, 4.2.12, address@hidden)
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(atlc, 4.2.12, address@hidden)

That does not match my documentation for those macros.

 - Macro: AC_INIT (PACKAGE, VERSION, [BUG-REPORT], [TARNAME])

  `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([OPTIONS])'
  `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(PACKAGE, VERSION, [NO-DEFINE])'

Do you really need to list your address specially?  If not then things
are much simpler.  Try this instead:

  AC_INIT(configure.ac)
  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(atlc,4.2.12)

Bob