Re: Removing dependencies

From: Steve M. Robbins
Subject: Re: Removing dependencies
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:57:47 -0400

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:05:45AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Bob Proulx wrote:
>
> > I think the problem is that you are building into $(top_srcdir) but
> > you should be building into $(top_builddir).
>
> I'm not sure that I should because the docs that are built are suppose to
> be in the distribution tarball, but they are not in cvs -- and these rules
> are suppose to build them and keep them up to date.  So I really want them
> in the source tree.  Files built into the build directory won't get
> packaged with make dist, right?

No.  Files in the build directory *will* get distributed.  I can't
find a note in the automake manual that says this.  Empirically,
however, I've found that the "make dist" target in the generated
Makefile will look for each distributed file first in the current
(i.e. build) directory and, if not found, in the source directory.

-S